WebVR is Deprecated!
WebVR has been replaced by the WebXR Device API, which has wider support, more features, better performance, and supports both VR and AR. This page is preserved as a historical reference, but the information on it is no longer relevant and you almost certainly want to be looking at immersiveweb.dev instead!
How can I try it?
The WebVR API is currently available in Firefox for Windows; Firefox Reality for Oculus Go, Daydream, and VIVEPORT; Chrome 56+ for Android (Origin Trial); Chrome Canary for Windows; Microsoft Edge for Windows; Samsung Internet for Gear VR; Supermedium for Windows; and Firefox Nightly builds on macOS. You can get the latest WebVR-enabled browsers here:
- Download Chrome for Android (read instructions)
- Download Firefox and Firefox Nightly builds (VIVE on macOS) (read instructions)
- Firefox Reality for Oculus Go, Daydream, and VIVEPORT (search for “Firefox Reality” on the store)
- Download Supermedium
- Oculus Browser for Gear VR (read instructions)
- Samsung Internet for Gear VR (read instructions)
- Microsoft Edge for Windows Mixed Reality headsets (read instructions)
(Experimental WebVR support in Chrome Canary for Windows is also available but not recommended for use at this time due to incompatibilites with recent graphics drivers. We suggest using Firefox or Microsoft Edge for WebVR on Windows in the meantime.)
You can test your browser’s support for the WebVR API with these samples:
How can I contribute?
The best place to contribute is the WebVR mailing list. Developers of the Chrome, Firefox, and Samsung Internet Browser builds are on that list, as well as other community members who are enthusiastic about VR on the Web.
How can I get the code?
The code that powers WebVR is available online, if you want to take a peek under the hood:
For the time being, use the following links to view and report issues with WebVR implementations:
- Chrome issues (file issue)
- Firefox Desktop issues (file issue)
- Firefox Reality (file issue)
- Samsung Internet Browser for Gear VR issues (file issue)